[at-l] Earl Shaffer's hike?

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Tue Jul 5 13:00:17 CDT 2011

The ADTC doesn't use the terminology "as far as practicable."
The exact quote from the ATC web site is:
"We recognize blue-blazed trails or officially required road-walks as viable
substitutes for the official, white-blazed route in the event of an
emergency, such as a flood, a forest fire, or an impending storm on an
exposed, high-elevation stretch"
Note the use of the term: "emergency".
The ATC has another requirement: "We operate on the honor system"