[at-l] IF 3

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 26 06:41:18 CDT 2011

I'm now at Vernon , NJ just finishing week 4, 350 miles done on the AT. It's been painful (sore feet) and HOT (well perhaps it's been cooler than you guys in the city)and it's also been magical. I'm really pleased with how well I'm holding together and my feet are almost completely adjusted to trail life.

I originally thought I'd get off at North Adams. The more recent plan is to have my birthday there and then continue the trip to Hanover, NH. I'm with a great group of 30-60 year olds (Hot Drinks, Worn Heels, The Dude, English Chatter, Keeper&Oaf & dog Cannon,Pickwick, Turtle Feet, Little Bird and others).

The DWG dinner on Thursday night was prepared by the church people - 51 hikers showed up to eat (a record) and then moved on in a bunch into the dismal heat on Friday.

Tricks was out doing magic a week after Billville and met us near PA 309 at the end of a long day hiking from Eckville shelter. That was a very magical encounter. Y2K and his mom fed us hot dogs and grilled pizzas at the Eckville Road the day we traveled from Port Clinton, and they stayed until after dark because they knew I was still on the trail!

I've done a couple nights of night hiking, partly because of the heat. I've found shady places to rest from 2-4 pm on those hot days and then started moving on. Water is getting to be a problem out here so we are hauling water when necessary, and that's becoming about every other day.

But all in all there's nothing really to complain about. In a way I'll just let the trail carry me forward. --RD

Arthur Gaudet (RockDancer)
Rockdancer97 at comcast.net
"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon."