[at-l] Been reading

Cody Girl codycodygirl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:47:48 CDT 2011

Just finished a book called "Mountain Adventure, Exploring the Appalachian
Trail" by Ron Fisher (Sam Abell photog) for National Geographic books,
1988.  One of my neighbors dropped by one day out of the blue and told me
she had found this book laying around her house somewhere and thought I
might enjoy it.  I DID!  How nice!

The hiker models on the cover give me cause to chuckle, but the book is
loaded with lots of great photos, as well as a decent narrative of the
trail, nobo.  Some of the characters mentioned include people I've heard
mentioned here by the folks on this list, so although I didn't have the
pleasure to meet them in person, I am pleased to learn more of them and
their contributions to the trail.  It also tells of sections that were road
walks at the time that are now trail through the woods.  Sweet!  The hike
for the book was done in 1987 which was the AT's 50th birthday.

Some of the pics I most enjoyed were:
Myron Avery and his crew with his wheel, going up the boulder part of
Katahdin.  Every time I see those pics I just shake my head with amazement.
Random hikers met on the trail.  The gear is way different, yet the faces
are just the same as the ones I saw last year.
Gene Espy in Damascus, looking just about the same as recent photos!
A PA Army Nat'l Guard helicopter transporting a shelter built offsite by
Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club.  I can't for the life of me figure out
which shelter this is.  Cool picture.
Puncheons
The Whites in snow
Shaws
Climbing Katahdin

And, there are also many views, wildlife, flowers, and forest photos as
well.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book.  Thought you might too.
Cody