[at-l] Hmmm...

Lee Parker l.clayton.parker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 19:27:22 CDT 2011

That is too funny. I live in northwestern Florida and there have been many
reports of Florida Panther sightings here and yet the USFS insists that we
are mistaken, there are no Florida Panthers here. But they have no problem
telling people in the northeast that it isn't Eastern Mountain Lions they
are seeing, it is Florida Panther which have strayed over 1,000 miles from
here (where they supposedly don't exist) or over 1500 miles from the ranges
in which they are listed as "threatened"....

I believe in Occam's Razor!

Lee I Joe

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Dave Hicks <carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net>wrote:

>   In my extensive discussions w/ the USFS they are not saying there aren't
> any Mountain Lions in the east.
>
> What they are saying is there are no more of the sub-specie of “Eastern
> Mountain Lion” -- just as there are no more of the sub-specie of “Eastern
> Elk” (which is well documented, BTW).
>
> They claim these Mountain Lions are either escapees or part of small
> populations of the “Western” Mountain Lion found east of the Mississippi
> River or of the “Florida Panther” which migrate to fill a niche in the food
> chain.
>
> Having seen a partial eating deer carcass in the fork of a tree about 12
> feet off the ground not far off the AT here in SWVA, I have no doubt there
> is something of the sort out there.
>
> FWIIW, the USFS has a vested interest in it not being an endangered
> sub-specie.  Were that the finding that they were “Eastern” Mountain Lions,
> it would be an expensive issue with which to deal.
>
> Chainsaw

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I've just erased it."