[at-l] Section Hike 2011

Ofahoma ofahoma at aol.com
Mon Jun 20 23:04:52 CDT 2011

Greetings All:

Well, the chores are all done. We’ve sold and closed two houses (ours
and my 80 + year old parents), moved to an apartment, completed a new
deal to build a new home, and maniacally cleaned up my office work. It
has been absolutely crazy on the order of now thinking that I am a
boiled egg. I am exhausted.

So, what do you do?  Well, you go hiking.

For the next 2 ½ weeks, I’ll be back on the trail. Leaving on Wednesday
picking up where I left off last year at the Delaware Water Gap with
sights set on Great Barrington, MA.

It has been an interesting period. I generally enter my hikes with
great expectations but also a bit scared because; I go alone and wonder
how my mental state will hold up this year. A couple of years I have
succumbed to the fear and cut my trips short. Crazy when you think of
the effort I put into scheming and planning this two week opportunity
to waste it that way.

After hiking the trail for the past 11 years, I have learned that the
toughest part of the trail is the part that lies between my ears.
Fortunately for the past couple of years, I have been buoyed by an
unbelievable source of strength that has not only gotten me through
some long trips (at least for me) but, put me in a place of peace that
has allowed me to immerse in the experience. That has been fulfilling
to the greatest degree possible.  It also keeps me coming back.

Not to mention meeting some of the neatest people along the way that
but for a minute here or there, I would have never gotten to meet.
Spooky in a neat kind of way.

Last year, I finally caught up with the thru hikers and that was a neat
experience too. Looking forward to some of that again this year but
always with the respect that they are on their own journeys and don’t
have need for wannabe hangers-on.  Last year, I was embraced by them
and have developed some great relationships that are responsible for my
being able to post here.  Thanks for welcoming/indulging me here.

Anyway, just want to let you know what I would be up to. I am taking an
Ipad this year and plan on posting some trip reports periodically if
you are interested.  I’ll try to post a picture or two but, I don’t
know how successful I will be with that.  We’ll see.

Anyway, next time you hear from me, I will be on the trail.  I’ll let
you know how it is going.

Peace

The Fat Man