[at-l] Fwd: The first day

Ofahoma ofahoma at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 19:02:52 CDT 2011

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gray <Ofahoma at aol.com>
Date: June 23, 2011 6:49:15 PM EDT

This first day went about like all first days for a section hiker.
 About an hour in you start feeling muscles and joints that you forgot
you have.  Then, the "THOUGHT" creeps in.  "There is no way your are
going to be able to do this." Nothing to do but keep walking.

Started this AM at 7 after getting up at 5. Went thru gear again,
repacked, dressed & out the door.  I had forgotten how hilly DWG is.
 Crossed into NJ & this year's hike was on!

Uneventful til Sunfish Pond. That thunder I had been hearing off in the
distance caught up with me.  Heavy rain and thunder and lightening for
about 20 minutes.  The pond was so foggy that you almost couldn't see
it. I ducked under some rhododendrons and took a break. Watching the
fog blow and swirll was spectacular.

Almost built an entire new cairn for all the folks I had to remember.

One down side, there were no blueberries on the north side of the lake
as I had been promised.  In fact, pretty much all of the berry bushes
seem to be just now making. Oh well. No freebies this year.

Made the Mohican outdoor center just after noon and ate lunch there.
 Took about Two hour break there.  Met Kenyan and Chufa (I think) who
is getting off the trail due to injury. (Achilles problem).  Kenyan is
from Atl and is thru hiking NOBO.

Left there a bit after 2 and got to Rattlesnake Spring campsite for the
night.  As you may expect, I'm shot.

Time to read a bit then off to never never land.....

Peace

Fat Man

Sent from my iPad