[at-l] Section hike 2011 Day 3

Ofahoma ofahoma at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 09:08:02 CDT 2011

There is a real temptation to play the hero and say that I came into
camp on bloody stumps after my 20 miler today.  But, I can't.  I didn't
make 20 but did make 18.5.  And no, I don't have bloody stumps. But,
they felt like it.

Today was a mixed bag. Started at Gren Anderson shelter in clothes that
won't dry.  Two days of rain will do that.  So far, the only real pro
lrm I am having with my feet is from being in wet shoes for so long.
They are kinda tender.  No real blisters even for a tenderfoot section
hiker.

I slipped and fell on some slick rocks just outside of Rutherford
Shelter.  Pinned my knee under me a d thought I was shot. But, to my
amazement, all was ok.  All except for my hiking stick that also got
caught up in the human avalanche and snapped in two.  Seeing as how
this a family sort of publication,  I can't tell you what I said.

This really threw me for a loop for a couple of hours.  Never know how
important things are til they are taken from you.  Girly girl is
working on the home front to get them replaced while I am still out.
Still have the other and God has provided a nice replacement in the
meantime. Not sure if it is poplar or elm but, it works fine for now.

Got past High Point and got into the low lands where the trail is
relatively free of those pesky rocks. But wouldn't you know it just
about the time my shoes start to dry out, you have to walk through a
bog or swamp or some other wet obstacle and the shoes would get soaked
again.

Seems that the Mayor's House shut down in Unionville, NY and the town
has gotten an attitude about hikers. Hence my shortened day by 1 1/2
miles.  Staying at the "Secret Shelter" with the same group I have been
with the past days.  There is: Drum Solo from State College, Pa, Kenyan
from Atl, Poncho Verde & Vinka from NC, and Wolfpack from Raleigh, NC.

To close out today's mixed bag, saw a deer run past my hammock and at
dusk, a 300 or so pound bear mosied along the upper reaches of the
pasture

Good to be in the hammock and time for dream land.

Peace

The Fat Man

Sent from my iPad