[at-l] Money talks

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Thu Jun 30 20:44:05 CDT 2011

So....on my way to work this morning...I see a couple pieces
of paper blowing/rolling down the highway. I look as I go by
and think..."Hey, that looked like money". so, I turned
around and went back. I pulled over and noticed another car
pulled over farther up the highway. We were walking toward
each other, each picking up money blowing around the road. I
find a...wallet? purse? Satchel? ...I find a little
zippered, cloth thing...in the middle of the road. The other
guy found a license and gift card. I found an ID card of
some sort.  So, I'm trying to figure out what this guy
thinks our deal is. I am intending on tracking down the
owner, of course. But, is he?  As we're stuffing money back
in this zippered bag I notice a roll of 20s with a rubber
band around it. My guess is there were
several....several....hundred dollars in this thing. As well
as credit cards, etc. Fortunately, I guess, this is
happening right in front of a sheriff deputy's house. A
sheriff deputy I happen to know pretty well. So, I suggest
we go to the house...and, as it turns out, the other guy
knew him, too! When we looked at the name on the license the
other man said "My sons know that guy" so he called his son
and the son called the guy. Since Sheriff Jerry was
comfortable with the guy taking the wallet/money to
(presumably) the owner, I was.  (And, the other guy didn't
seem like the kind of guy who'd take off with someone's
money. He even gave me a business card). The day got even
weirder after that!

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98