[at-l] Eastern Cougar Now Extinct

Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Wed Mar 2 22:10:23 CST 2011

A few years ago, I saw partially eaten deer carcass 12-14 feet up in the fork of a tree along the Va-WVa  line.

FWIIW, declaring them extinct frees the government from speeding money on more studies and/or on  efforts to protect them.  Doesn't mean that they aren’t extinct.  Doesn’t mean that there are not something filling in an environmental vacuum.

However, there are some big cats still here in the east and it is to the agencies advantage to close any “endangered” possibility.

OTOH, it is hard to prove a negative and they may just be extinct.

Chainsaw