[at-l] VPR, Tucker-Johnson shelter

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 15:50:50 CST 2011

This was posted yesterday on the Vermont Public Radio site. I'm not certain
if it's on the current AT, I'm usually walking through the area with
thoughts of the Long Trail Inn on my mind. --RockDancer

See http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/90217/

U.S. Forest Service Investigates Fire

Thursday, 03/03/11 5:50pm and Friday, 03/04/11 6:06am

Nina Keck - Rutland, Vt.

(Host) The U.S. Forest Service is investigating a fire that destroyed a
hiking shelter on the Long Trail about a mile from Sherburne Pass in Rutland
County.

The Tucker-Johnson Shelter is a lean-to structure near the intersection of
the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail in Mendon.

Forest Service officials say it burned down Wednesday.

Forest Service officials wouldn't say how they found out about the fire or
if they have any leads. They say the investigation is ongoing and anyone
with leads should call the US Forest service.

Patty McGrath owns the Inn at Long Trail with her husband Murray. The inn is
a popular stopping place for hikers and she says the shelter is located in a
heavily traveled area.

(McGrath)  "We're just both really disappointed - hopefully it's an accident
- but that anyone would be so inconsiderate and foolish to have a fire there
that they didn't keep under control."

(Host) The Tucker-Johnson shelter was built in 1969. Forest officials say
replacing it will be difficult.