[at-l] Homecoming and the Adventure Detox

Amy Forinash aeforinash at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:29:18 CST 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Chuck Covington wrote:

> I think the feelings you all are experiencing are similar to the ones we in the military feel after a long deployment.  I believe it stems from going wildly out of the norm of everyday life and experiencing new things.  Those new things are going to alter your perceptions on life and what you knew or thought you knew.
>
> You're right Mara about some people not being interested in hearing about your adventures.  I get the same thing but I chalk it up to people being happy in what they have and what they know.  Ignorance is bliss right?

It's not just adventures.  Other people's experiences are not generally riveting if you don't have context with which to relate.

My mom just spent two weeks in a rehab hospital.  It's about as far removed from her daily life as an AT hike is from mine.  She was totally immersed in a new world.  And she couldn't stop talking about it.  The life of an occupational therapy patient is just not interesting to me, so I murmured "is that so?" and "how about that" while she rambled about her time there.

My experiences when I travel are wonderful *to me* but it isn't really fair to expect them to be wonderful to others, unless I'm an amazing storyteller.  (Hint:  I'm not.)

-amy