[at-l] Homecoming and the Adventure Detox

Cody Girl codycodygirl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 05:57:49 CST 2011

I agree and those were the reasons I chose to include it.  Maybe he saw that
look in my eye!
On Mar 7, 2011 10:25 PM, "Nina Rogers" <Nina.Rogers at drakesoftware.com>
wrote:
> That's interesting. I've put my AT thru-hike on every resume I've
submitted, and I have yet to show up at an interview where the interviewer
doesn't begin by saying, "Wow, did you *really* hike the whole trail?"

> The ability to thru-hike says a lot about your determination, tenacity,
ability to make a plan and stick to it, etc.--lots of things employers look
for in a job candidate. Of course, you'll have to reassure them that you
aren't going to up and leave after a year or two so you can go hike again
... :-)

> Waterfall
>
> ________________________________

just talk to myself about last year's hike! Seriously.

> Today I had an interview with a recruiter which hopefully will lead to a
job eventually. I cannot tell you how I agonized over whether or not to put
AT thru hike on my resume. How else to explain what is well over a year,
almost 2 now, of unemployment. And all those great qualities! Talk about
goal oriented!

> LOL! It started out as 5 lines of valuable real estate on the resume. I
narrowed it down to three. Today, the recruiter told me to toss it, no one
cares. If they want to know what I've been doing the last 19 months they
should ask me during an interview. At that point I can tell my story "with
passion" like I told the guy today. That's what he said anyway. I'm not
quite as passionate about accounting, LOL!

> I don't think my mom ever got around to looking at the pics, sigh. Even my
mom has lost interest! I can't complain tho, she dogsat and handled just
about everything logistical for me. She did her part for which I am forever
grateful. Still, I sure am glad I'm on this list and that sometimes stuff
like this comes up.

> Cody
>

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Nina Rogers <Nina.Rogers at drakesoftware.com>
wrote:

> I read a blog post today at "The Art of Non-Conformity" that struck a
chord (la la la) regarding coming back home after a hike:

http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/homecoming-and-the-adventure-detox/>