[at-l] List slow? Any NOBO starters?

Tom Fort tom at tjfort.net
Tue Mar 22 09:54:41 CDT 2011

Very glad he is out & alive! 

I have 2 questions for  discussion.... 

1.  why would you ever abandon your gear and *food*?   
2.  Why would you stay at a spot in the woods, for 4 days, without any

Something doesn't add up.   


-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:at-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On
Behalf Of Linda Patton
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:14 AM
To: at-l
Subject: Re: [at-l] List slow? Any NOBO starters?

A bit more of the story on the NPS Morning Report for March 21:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Missing Backpacker Reappears After Week-Long Search

A major, week-long search for missing backpacker Chad Hunter came to a happy
conclusion Sunday evening when he showed up at the Tricorner Knob shelter on
the Appalachian Trail and hikers there notified park dispatch. A
three-person NPS team, including two medics, immediately set out for the
shelter, arriving there at 2:30 a.m. They treated Hunter for minor injuries
and dehydration and provided him with warm clothing and equipment. Because
of the remote location, a decision was made to evacuate Hunter on Monday by
helicopter instead of via a large ground carryout operation. An NPS
helicopter sent to the site was unable to land due to high winds, so a
Tennessee Highway Patrol helicopter with a hoist was used instead. Hunter
was lifted out, flown to the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge Airport, and reunited
with his family. He was then taken by Sevier County ambulance to LeConte
Medical Center in Sevierville for evaluation and treatment. Rangers
accompanied Hunter to the hospital to debrief him on his ordeal in the
Smokies. Hunter told the rangers that he'd spent the night of Monday, March
14th, at Campsite 32 as scheduled and on Tuesday hiked into Greenbrier up
the Ramsey Cascades Road to the Ramsay Cascades Trail to its end at the
falls. He climbed past the falls and hiked cross-country along Ramsay Prong
for about half a mile, but found the going very steep, rocky, and blocked by
obstructions, so he decided to make his way up towards the ridgeline
instead. By Tuesday night he realized that he was off course and he camped
that night with his sleeping bag and other gear. On Wednesday, he made
extremely slow progress due to dense rhododendron and estimated that it had
taken him six to seven hours to cover just over a half mile. At that point
he decided to abandon his pack because it was continually snagging on the
heavy brush, slowing his progress. He hoped that without his pack he could
make faster time and reach his goal of Tricorner Shelter more easily. On
Wednesday evening, he reached a relatively flat and somewhat open area,
where he stayed until Sunday morning. During this time, he had only the
clothes he was wearing plus a fanny pack with a little food and a headlamp -
but no sleeping bag or other overnight gear. He said that he melted snow for
water until Sunday, but had no other food after his small supply ran out. On
Sunday morning, he set out first light; he considered going back down, but
chose to continue up to the AT instead, ending up at the shelter. 

~~ eArThworm  

> Found safe and sound.
> Tenacious Tanasi
> > There was something last night on google AT alerts about a student 
> > from UT who has disappeared on the trail.  ....  a'bear

Visit my website at http://booksforhikers.com "Better to be lost in the
woods than in a maze of cubicles."
at-l mailing list
at-l at backcountry.net

More information about the at-l mailing list