[at-l] Interesting Black Bear Study

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:22:50 CDT 2011

Leslie, I was looking specifically at NY. I do remember reading accounts of
the incident you recall at the time it happened and I believe there were
posts to AT-L about it. There is an attack shown in Tennessee on the map in
that article I posted the link for. That may be the one. OTOH The map only
showed 1 in NY and I found 4 although 3 of the 4 were in zoos and only one
of those was a Black Bear which is what they were studying. Perhaps they
were only counting non-captive bear attacks. I believe that (aside from
zoos) there are only black bears in the East. I've never heard of any other
bears here. You have to go West and/or North to see Grizzlies, Browns and
Polar Bears in nature. I wish the map in that article had links to the
individual reports but it doesn't.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://jimbullard.zenfolio.com/