[at-l] Ethan Pond

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sun May 22 23:22:24 CDT 2011

I had a fun hike up to Ethan Pond Campsite/Shelter on Saturday, 6.5 miles
round trip from the AT crossing at RT. 302. Hiking in the Whites right now
is pre-blackfly season and almost snow/ice free – conditions that will last
for about 5 days I think.

I was within ½ mile of the pond before I encountered ice on the trail,
making those wood bog-bridge thingies very slippery. A nice plus was a
prolonged encounter with a Spruce Grouse.  I tried to sneak up on him to get
a good photo but he would fly 20-30 feet each time I approached. Then I
tried to ignore him and he flew right to me – I think he was toying with me.

Snow at the pond and shelter was about 3 feet deep, but not everywhere. The
winter winds create a large wave of snow near the outlet of the pond. A few
Common Merganser were paddling around out there. Otherwise the place was
empty, unused for a while I think. In another few weeks the caretaker will
arrive and the hikers will also.

--RockDancer (Arthur Gaudet)