[at-l] AT Day Hiker rescued

Jan Lite liteshoe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 10:16:22 CDT 2011

I remember coming down dragon's Tooth on one of my worst days. Though I'd
looked forward to it, by the time I got there, I was on the verge of heat
stroke, severely dehydrated due to the foolishness of not wanting to walk
ALL the way down to the last water on very sore and bleeding feet, the last
one out on the trail that day, lightening was cracking the sky in an ominous
fashion  and, to boot, late for the last shuttle to The Home Place.
As I got to the steep, slick part with the hand holds, it began to rain...
hard...
I can just imagine what a feat it was to get this guy down.
All that said, I'd still like to go back and do it again someday, on my own
terms - hydrated, rested, well fed and well shod.
And while I'm at it Chainsaw, thanks for that awesome Trail Magic when I
came by on my thru - it wasn't just the rest and the shower, although it was
that, it wasn't just the support and the pep talks, although certainly that,
it most CERTAINLY WAS the visits to your othotic guy and above all, those
delieriously delicious home-cooked gourmet meals....
**************

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 16:43:52 -0400
From: "Dave Hicks" <carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net>
>http://tinyurl.com/3rnx8bv

**
>Broken-leg hiker rescued by hours of Dragon's Tooth lugging

The Roanoke Times

More than a dozen Roanoke County rescuers spent hours retrieving a
broken-legged hiker from the craggy Dragon's Tooth trail over the weekend,
authorities said.

The hiker, a 24-year-old man out for the day with two companions, broke his
right leg, just above the ankle, in a fall about 11:30 a.m. Sunday, Jennifer
Conley Sexton, the county Fire & Rescue spokeswoman, said in a statement.
The men were about halfway up the trail's climb and called 911 for help.

SNIP

--
"The Ordinary Adventurer"
A new backpacking adventure book