[at-l] injured section hiker, Mt. Madison

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Wed Oct 19 12:46:57 CDT 2011

On 10/19/2011 1:20 PM, Pat wrote:
> OK I give up. Did a rock hit ya?
>
> The worst I've ever been hurt while hiking was in The Whites last
> year...and, my conditioning and ability had nothing to do with it...as I
> was standing perfectly still when it happened. Which just goes to show
> ya... anything can happen at anytime.

I was standing on a rock at Webster Cliffs, looking down
into the valley. All the sudden my right foot slid off the
rock...my left foot did not.  Next thing I know I was
face-down in the mud under a fir tree assuming my left leg
was broken. It turned out that I had only injured my ankle
(albeit very, very badly...yet, not broken).  So, standing
still one second and writhing in pain the next.