[at-l] OT - The big Year

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 19 15:23:11 CDT 2011

Some of you may know that I've been an active birder for the last few years.
I'm nowhere near the level of the competitive birders in the new movie "The
Big Year" that opened over the weekend, but I enjoyed it a lot, especially
for the subtle, inside pokes that might only speak to the birders watching.
Attu looms big in the story, a fabled spot to see a wild selection of birds
at the end of the Aleutian Islands.

<http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2011/10/14/the_big_year_is_a_surpr
isingly_sweet_comedy_thats_about_shhh_birding/>
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2011/10/14/the_big_year_is_a_surpri
singly_sweet_comedy_thats_about_shhh_birding/

Is the link for the Boston Globe's review of "The Big Year" with Steve
Martin, Owen Wilson and Jack Black. The review gets it just about right, and
is pretty respectful of the appeal of birding & the people who do it. I saw
it at the matinee on Sunday, with 3 other people in the theater. Word on the
street says that it won't appear in many theaters, and perhaps not for long.
The big screen is the best place to see all the location shots, so it won't
look as good on home TV. Not mentioned is the quick pace & fun songs that
move the film along. I stayed until the very end of the credits, all 4 of us
did, and then we looked at each other to see if we knew each other!

>From another review: "Surprisingly enough, it isn't the big names, but the
birds that actually save the film. If you have any interest whatsoever in
birds, go see this movie - they are truly a spectacle. You will learn about
their migrating and mating habits, and catch glimpses of some rare and
exotic species. There is a beautiful scene involving two bald eagles that
makes this film almost entirely worth watching."

There are audio recordings of Sandy Komito on  <http://www.nabirding.com>
www.nabirding.com. His character in the movie is evil, tricky Bostick,
played by Owen Wilson. He talks about Mr. Pants & Annie Auklet, and Annie
contributes to the comments section.

I Like Birds - Eels

Surfin' Bird - The Trashmen, from Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Come Fly Away - Jeremy Fisher

Blackbird - Beatles, played by Brad Meldau

Minor Swing - Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli

Arthur D. Gaudet

RockDancer on the Appalachian Trail

Rockdancer97 at comcast.net