[at-l] Why do we do what we do?

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 22 09:08:25 CDT 2011

It's nice to see an affirmation every now and then about the why-we-do-what-we-do thing...

“It’s about survival,” she explains. “And I think it goes back to reaching a certain point in your life when you understand that you are in control of your own ability to survive things and make it through things and to continually reaffirm that…your own power of will is enough. Giving up has never really been on my mind. Especially when I’m in a tutu. I mean, come on, who quits in a tutu?”

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2011/10/22/adventure-racing

Now certainly, it's not the only reason -- I would wager that like Maslow's Hierarchy, it depends not only on who you ask, but when you ask them. Is today's effort about scenery? About a centering Zen experience to clarify one's "greater vision"? Or is it about keeping at bay an inner demon of "civilized" lassitude and shoring up our own animal spirit and genetic drive?

Or, all three...