[at-l] Threats to the George Washington National Forest...

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 18:24:09 CDT 2011

Hi folks,

The A.T. runs through the George Washington National Forest (GWNF) and I
heard from the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) about a threat to
the forest.  I thought this might be of interest to the group.

>From NRDC:

"The Forest Service is considering plans for future natural gas drilling and
commercial logging in the George Washington National Forest."

"The Forest Service is now inviting public comments on  a
ten-to-fifteen-year management plan for the national forest that could
include hundreds of new natural gas wells and increased logging."

If you would like to urge the forest service to protect the forest, the NRDC
makes it easy at:

https://secure.nrdconline.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2437

You can even modify their form letter.

Google provides links to more information.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor