[at-l] Fire Ants

Tim Rich athiker89 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 09:03:18 CDT 2012

I don't think insect repellent will do anything.  A sting will, well, sting a good bit, and it may produce a very small welt that may fester over the next few days.  That's about it.  I've grown up with them and been bitten hundreds of times.  I've never had a fire ant bite while hiking or camping, even south of the AT.  They're a hassle in regular life, but I've never had an issue with them setting up tents in Alabama, and they are everywhere in Alabama.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, they usually avoid compacted soil, so if you're in an established camping area it's unlikely to be an issue.  If you go and find a new spot to camp, move a little rotted wood or some rocks, you could disturb a colony.

Take care,

Tim