[at-l] male

Cody Girl codycodygirl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 21:57:52 CDT 2012

I stayed at Wolfe Shelter and hiked the 5 miles or so to the Visitors
Center, where no one was about.  I looked at the list of trail angels, but
it was Sunday morning I think, so nobody answered their phones.  I went
over to that motel and sat there drinking an Orange Crush, doing not much
else.  A while later I looked up and there was a car at the VC.  I walked
back over and met Dubose.  He closed up the VC, took me to a B&B where I
had a maildrop (I had decided not to stay there after all, the man was very
gracious about it.)  Then Dubose drove me around town.  Made arrangements
to pick me up in 2 hours at the Dairy Queen I think it was.  I went to
Kroger, where people at the deli, people in the aisle, people in the line
all spoke to me, were kind to me, were interested in the hike, and so on.
In no other town did I experience that at a grocery store.  I went to the
Mexican restaurant and fed my face while they charged up my phone in the
kitchen.  Then, over to the DQ for ice cream and to meet Dubose.  He had
just taken his mother out to lunch for her birthday.  We stopped off at the
outfitters for stove alcohol, he dropped me back at the VC and I slept that
night at the first shelter in Shenandoah.

I think that was my shortest town visit.  Dubose went way out of his way to
help me out (on his mother's birthday!), and everyone in town treated me so
well.  I love Waynesboro VA.  You'll notice the PO was not involved so I
can't comment on that.  :-)

Cody