[at-l] trail notes, Crawford Notch, Trip 10

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Wed Aug 29 08:37:37 CDT 2012

Why would they want to flip?  Baxter State Park may be closed to
camping after October 15th but it is open year round to hiking.  I
finished on October 25th.  Was shuttled from the park on the 24th and
returned on 25th.  Only 2 other people on Katahdin when I summitted.
It was perfect.  A dusting of snow on the way up but it had melted on
the return trip.  Temps in the 50's with only a slight breeze and
limitless visibility.  No crowds at the summit to spoil my final day.
It turned out that conditions in the Whites were more treacherous
with snow and ice.  I think you are correct saying it could be
tougher to flip in the late hiker season.   Besides, most of the
Maine section stays at lower altitudes.  Only Katahdin goes above
tree line  The Bigelows could be tough in a snow storm. So, don't
hike in a snow storm.  With the warming climate chances a very good
for successful late season summit of Katahdin.

Happy Hiking.

--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman