[at-l] Waynesboro, VA -- Post Office

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Wed Aug 29 15:24:07 CDT 2012

On 8/29/2012 2:33 PM, Rosalind Suit wrote:

> Felix....
>
> Waynesboro, VA  was made a "Designated Trail Community"
> through the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.... last
> March......it might be good to notify the contacts at the
> bottom of the page  of the problem with mail from the
> Waynesboro P.O........the community at large is supportive
> of the Trail.....and are now informed on how welcoming
> thru-hikers is an economic plus for them, and is a draw
> for tourism,etc.   A wide-ranging committee from the
> Waynesboro area were involved in the planning and carrying
> out of making the town an officially designated "Trail
> Town."....with special signs for the highway, etc.  It's
> possible that the workers at the P.O. need a "wake-up
> call" to the importance of packages bearing instructions
> for "holding...forwarding...etc." for a named thru-hiker.
> I'm certain the community  doesn't want to get a bad name
> as a trail town.......or, that's my suggestion.  With a
> large committee like this one.....some of the "big-wigs"
> have some persuasive power to get things done in a better
> manner. It just needs to be called to their attention.
>
> http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-we-are/news/2012/03/08/waynesboro-virginia-designated-an-appalachian-trail-community

Waynesboro has been one of the main trailtowns for decades.
You almost can't hike through that area without stopping
there. If they haven't figured out how to handle mail sent
to hikers by now, they never will. and, the fact that I've
had mail returned to me two times that I am certain sat on
their shelf for 10+ months is pretty pathetic.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98