[at-l] trail notes, Crawford Notch, Trip 10

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 10:56:05 CDT 2012

Thanks Art, for clarifying. I haven't heard from anyone else, no one has
corrected my understanding of the current rules. It is of course foolhardy
to attempt Katahdin when it's closed and dangerous in the extreme conditions
experienced by that November hiker. Rereading my note about his trip: he
experienced the deep snow while approaching the tableland but the tableland
was windswept and icy, with the white blazes hidden below his feet. Years
ago there were two tall columns of stone that marked the AT entrance to/from
the tableland. These have toppled over the years. --RD