[at-l] Nuclear Lake

Mike Cunningham hikermiker at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 11:33:09 CST 2012

  Yesterday I hiked around Nuclear Lake in Pawling, NY. I hiked the yellow trail around one side (which I had never done before) and the AT back the other side. The yellow trail is really quite neat, going through some interesting rock formations and past some strange stone walls.

I saw a bald eagle and at least two male pheasants. Possibly 5 pheasants, I saw two twice and one single. I saw a couple of dead birds & got to wondering what had eaten them. They may have been female pheasants or hawks, not much was left.

There were abundant signs saying no fires & no camping, but none saying no swimming.

So two questions.

# 1. I know that eagles eat fish, do they also eat birds?

# 2  Has anyone ever been swimming at Nuclear Lake?

TIA

hm