[at-l] North GA - bear containers required on AT

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 09:29:14 CST 2012

This is from the Access North GA website (http://www.accessnorthga.com/) -
it won't affect thruhikers if they just don't camp in the 5 mile section
Jarrard Gap to Neel Gap. --RD

Bear-resistant container rule effective next month

By Derrick Booth

GAINESVILLE - Overnight campers on a stretch of Appalachian Trail will be
required to carry a bear-resistant container beginning next month.

U.S. Forest Service officials said the containers can seal in odors from
garbage, toiletries and food. They are also tamper resistant against extreme
force.

The new regulation is in response to what the forest service calls conflicts
between people and black bears in the region. The measure runs until June
and involves a five mile section of trail between Jarrard and Neels Gaps.

"We're taking this measure to protect campers and make our campsites less
alluring to the bears that live here," Blue Ridge District Ranger Andy Baker
said.

The rule is mandatory for all dispersed camping in the Blood Mountain
Wilderness Area within a quarter mile of the trail, as well as camping at
Blood Mountain Shelter and Woods Hole Shelter.

Forest Service officials said the containers are available at most stores
that sell camping equipment.

So called "bear-bagging" and hanging food bags between trees are no longer
acceptable.

Link: U.S. Forest Service <http://www.fs.usda.gov/conf>

Arthur D. Gaudet

RockDancer on the Appalachian Trail