[at-l] Take A Trace? Re: Rock Collection.....

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 12:44:57 CST 2012

--- On Thu, 2/9/12, Rosalind Suit <rosiesuit at live.com> wrote:

I hope the rock collection isn’t from the AT…….LNT.    Rosie/mdhiker

### I confess --
5-8 rocks -- a goodly 100+ pounds' worth, from Clarendon Gorge -- all perfectly polished from the river and some with little felt pads on the bottom ("What 'bottom'??") so they could hang out at the office' reception area and have people look at them, remark on them, fondle (yes, 'fondle) them.....

2-3 rocks from Newfound Gap -- all gnarly and gniessy -- maybe 10 pounds.

3-4 from Katahdin -- if not from Baxter, still, from the area. (South Peak, and around the other way to the saddle, and somewheres near Thoreau Spring, and for that matter, a couple of softball-sized ones from the T with the road to Katahdin Springs (we were hitch-hiking out, the little stream came from that direction, we were *looking* at Katahdin, and they were summit rocks *at* *some* point, so it all seemed to count.)

1 pretty massive one from the summit of Washington -- a totally unique beast of rock -- geologic rasp -- it screams, "Don't even THINK of stopping, sitting, NOTHING. KEEP MOVING." It probably goes 30 pounds by itself. (It's DENSE, too.) You can do that when you take a car to the summit. (A PHREAKY experience -- way more wild than walking -- you have no time to adjust your perspective. Very unexpected!) I gave it to my Dad to gaze at, when he was ailing. Washington always impressed him, and this rock was like a portable Washington.

1 pretty good-sized rock from the middle of Kansas -- from a rock cut on the small highway we were traveling on the way back east from our drive/hike/tourist trip along the Divide. This was a chunk of sandstone just chockful of fossil shells, but of different types than here in Indiana, so I grabbed a promising big honker and put it in the back of the car. One side of the road was a barren grey sandstone, and the other side was this ripe-with-'em khaki sandstone. I got both, but don't even know what I did with the grey stuff now. Interesting geology.

Whoever said 'Kansas is a boring drive' apparently never got off the interstate.

One of my favorite rocks, though, is just a little coin-sized piece of gneiss that *glows* silver when it's wetted at all. That one is worth a million dollars.

illegalinmultiplejurisdictionstoe