[at-l] Smoky back country fees

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Thu Feb 16 18:27:30 CST 2012

Tom,
The hut system in the Whites existed long before the AT was even
conceived.  The trails that the AT follow in the Whites also existed
before the AT was laid out.  Most of the trails were made by the AMC
back in the 1800's.  The AMC was largely responsible for getting the
Whites declared a national forest.  The parking fees in the Whites
are adminstered by the National Forest Service.  None of those fees
go to AMC.  The AMC built and maintains the huts.  AMC has
professional staff  to maintain the over used trails and shelters in
the Whites.  There are millions more hikers in the Whites than thru
hikers or even AT hikers.  The charges imposed by the AMC are aimed
at those people not AT hikers but how do you make that determination
between one and the other.  Allowing some hikers to stay in the huts
and shelters for work to stay helps some what.  It is a real problem.

--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman