[at-l] Smokey's $$

Doug Mathews mathews at uga.edu
Fri Feb 17 06:28:19 CST 2012

A complex issue and I can see both sides.

Times do change and who waaaaaay back when could have foreseen the
change in population, the increased standards of living, transportation
options providing access, and the interest in the outdoors.

There was an agreement that there would be no charge between the feds
and the involved states and unless the involved states agree (which I
feel they probably would, because they'd not take much heat it mostly be
directed as they's feel that heat would be directed at the Feds).

But it is the camel's nose in the tent. Once the little $1 charge is
instituted, I guarantee that the next time they park service feels a
pinch, they would raise that $1 to $2 or what ever.  History says they
states and the feds methodology of funding has no limit and neither
feels compelled to do what we all do when we run out of money and that
is live within our means as best we can. We certainly do not have the
option of telling our bosses that they will start paying us more because
we "need" it.

I opt for them finding another way to take care of their (and our)
problem without going down the road of ever increasing "fees" that slip
in everywhere these days.  An agreement is an agreement or aren't folk's
words worth anything anymore?

More than you wanted to hear I know..

Mainframe