[at-l] Smoky back country fees

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 11:11:37 CST 2012

### I'm not sure I get your point, Gabby, but it seems you think I am conflating the AMC and WMNF. I am not. I am a hiker (vis AMC) and a taxpayer (vis WMNF) who objects to paying through the nose for the opportunity to walk the Appalachian ridge (AMC) or to camp in the forested lowlands (WMNF) with my children -- none of the three of us having much in the way of a measurable impact, but ALL of us entangled in a regulatory scheme assembled over decades to justify, protect and fund the sponsoring entities (whether AMC, WMNF, or both).

FWIW, I first analyzed the WMNF Plan back in 1981 for a undergraduate paper (got an A) and completed a two-semester graduate analysis on the AT "Trailway" (and the ATC and the AMC) in 1984-85). Nothing in the "ills" column has changed since then, and as far as the ATC/AT goes, what I predicted had pretty much come to pass. Ugh.