[at-l] Hikers =economic indicator

tech.mann@verizon.net tech.mann at verizon.net
Sat Feb 18 19:00:57 CST 2012

This is only an anecdotal observation.

Last summer, I took 3 two-week hikes in Virginia.  Most of the hikers I encountered were section hikers like myself and were on vacation from full time jobs.  Of all the thru-hikers I met, two were a couple who quit their jobs to hike the trail, one took a six month leave of absence, but the rest were either retired or unemployed.  Given that last year had a record number of thru-hike starts and a high unemployment rate, would it be a stretch to conclude that the two are connected.

-Old Crow-

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T