[at-l] 4 days in '97 when hypothermic

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 10:03:37 CST 2012

Good book, South Walker.  Can you imagine screaming down the cog railway on
those slideboards?  Yikes!

I've been borderline hypothermic twice and while both times happened to be
on the AT, neither time was during my thruhike.  The first time, I was a
fairly new hiker doing my first overnight trip by going hut to hut.  I was
with a friend and we were doing the loop from the Kancamagus highway to
Greenleaf Hut, on to Galehead, and back by way of the Bonds.

On the first day, the weather turned nasty and I got wet.  I put my rain
gear on over my wet clothes and stayed warm for quite a while but
approaching Lafayette, the weather got colder and that wasn't enough.  I
started shivering.  Having been through the AMCs Winter Hiking program, I
knew I needed to get warm or risk hypothermia but I made the decision to
keep going.  If I stopped I would probably get colder just trying to put
dry clothes on in the rain.  Instead, I continued knowing I would soon be
able to get warm in the hut.

By the time we got there, I was into the umbles.  I was stumbling,
grumbling, and fumbling.  This was full on mild hypothermia.  Everyone was
just sitting down to dinner so weren't paying attention to me and I didn't
think to ask.  I really needed the bathroom so went there first but it took
me ages to pull off my clothes.  I couldn't work the toggle on my rain
pants my hands were so cold.  But, I eventually stripped, wrapped myself in
blankets, and made it to the dinner table where I ate and warmed up.

The second time wasn't quite so bad.  It was a couple of years after my
thruhike and I was in Georgia for a week long trip.  I was approaching
Blood Mountain in a bad nor'easter.  I met someone hiking south looking for
the shelter.  I stopped to give him directions and that was just enough to
start me shivering so I quickly moved on.  I could have gone into the
shelter or put up my tent but I knew Walasi-yi was only a few miles away
and I wanted to get warm.

Trees had been coming down all around the night before and were still
coming down as I walked.  It was rather dangerous.  Slight changes in
elevation meant going from rain to sleet to snow.  Rather than climb into
the ice to go over Blood Mountain, I went around.

By the time I got to Mountain Crossings, I went in and made myself a hot
chocolate.  I asked if I could pay for it later as I will likely buy more
and by the way "was the dryer available downstairs?"  I had them put me on
the list for a shuttle to Goose Creek Cabins and then went downstairs.  I
pulled off wet layers and put them in the dryer.  I put on whatever I had
that was dry and stood on a chair in front of the heater.  As things dried,
I would pull them out of the dryer and put them on again.

I had just about finished drying everything and warming myself when my
shuttle arrived.  I paid for my hot chocolate and went to check in at the
cabins only to find that my friends who I thought were behind me, had
bailed off the trail and gotten a ride.  As I checked in, the lady said
"Oh, your'e the one who was hypothermic."  Well, I had been shivering but I
hadn't gotten to the umbles yet.  If I hadn't gotten warm and dry, I could
have easily gotten worse but once again, I had made a decision to get a bit
colder knowing I could get warmer in a heated building than in my sleeping
bag in a shelter.  Oh yeah, my sleeping bag had gotten a bit wet the night
before and I really didn't want to crawl into a wet bag.

I feel like there may have been another time or two when I brushed up
against hypothermia but nothing comes to mind and these two incidents were
certainly the worst.

I did get frostnip once when skiing in ridiculously cold temperatures one
day.  I had a tiny hole in the tip of one of the fingers of my gloves and
ended up losing a few layers of skin.  Ouch!

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor