[at-l] remains fournd near AT, Hiawassee, GA

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 13:12:33 CST 2012

This is from the  <http://www.accessnorthga.com> www.accessnorthga.com
website, the remains are at least a few months old, more to follow I
imagine. -Arthur (RockDancer)

Towns Co. authorities await ID on human remains

B.J. Williams

HIAWASSEE - Towns County authorities are hoping they'll find out this week
the identity of human remains found on the south end of the county just over
a week ago.

Chief Deputy Jeff Edge said hunters found the remains near the Appalachian
Trail at the Towns/White County line Sunday, January 15.

"[The remains were] within a few hundred yards of the Appalachian Trail,"
said Edge. "We're going over missing persons reports and also awaiting
information from the crime lab."

Edge said investigators did not find any sign of foul play.

He said local authorities combed the scene for two days in search of
evidence. Towns County sheriff's investigators received assistance from
agents with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, rangers with the Department
of Natural Resources and officers with U.S. Forest Service Law Enforcement.

"We also had a forensic anthropologist from the University of Georgia on the
scene," said Edge.

He said they were able to determine the remains had been in the area for
several months.