[at-l] Train, train...get me on out of this place

Mike Cunningham hikermiker at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 06:51:33 CDT 2012

The procedure is that you flag down the train. You buy the ticket on the train, but on your return you buy the ticket at Grasnd Central Station. Officially the trains only stop there on a weekend. It may not work on a weekday. Sometimes you can catch a ride to ther next station south where thet train does stop. It is designed for hikers from NYC to take the train out in the morning and back in in the pm.

If you poke around on the website for Metro North on the Harlem line, the station is actually called Appalachian trail. btw there is a great new boardwalk across the swamp just south of there.

hm