[at-l] Calfs

Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Mon Jul 23 08:33:53 CDT 2012

Not associated with gout.

However, swelling of the ankle and calf  was the first sign of my first Deep
Vein Thrombosis (DVT) which lead to finding that I had Leiden Factor 5 gene
mutation.

I inherited one copy of the mutation from one of my parent (heterozygous)
increasing my  chance of developing a clot by four times to eight times the
average.
BTW, I've been on blood thinner and wear heavy duty compression hose for ten
years, now.  A bit of a pain.  But I'm still here and I got in a number of
years more hiking before my heart and lung problems set it.  Old age isn't
for the weak at heart.  Hang in there.

There are a a couple different ways to test for / diagnose Leiden Factor 5.
I understand that there are a couple of other causes of DVT other than the
more typical over age 60, smoke, overweight, sit for long periods, etc.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV or the internet.  However, if it
ends up being a DVT, don't let them pass it off to old age, etc. -- IMHO.

Good luck.  Hope it is something else -- minor.  Glad to hear you are
checking it out with a doctor.

Chainsaw