[at-l] FS fees; Grizzly charge on video, tourists stand firm

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 14:51:51 CST 2012

Thanks David, for the two links.

The elimination of FS fees applies to only a Western subset of the collective National Forests. Since 1997 we’ve had a fee for the White Mountains of NH in the form of parking fees. It was introduced as a “voluntary fee” for the first year and then when no one complained it became a requirement. Now I need a sticker for the car in order to hike on the AT - $20 for a single, $25 for 2 vehicles in a family, per year.

The grizzly video is so revealing in how unafraid the campers were. I gave them too much credit at first when I thought “wow, the campers aren’t scattering or reacting” to the bear. In the last few second you see perhaps their attitude, one camper slyly looks at the camera as if to say “this is cool”. I’ve had several interactions with grizzly bears – in the Canadian Rockies, in MT and in the Tetons – and this is NOT what I would have done in reaction to that bear. (Not that I could’ve done anything significant to protect myself or the campers, that’s a wide open terrain where the bear would certainly run me down if it chose to. I just wouldn’t have been calmly filming and then smile at the camera.) --RD