[at-l] 13 years ago today...

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:52:37 CDT 2012

13 years ago today, I started the AT from Amicalola.  Six and a half months
later, I finished my thruhike on Katahdin in terribly cold and foggy
conditions.  No complaints though.  The mountain closed for ten days just
afterwards.

I soon went back to work and life seemed like it hadn't changed that much.
 But three years later, when I got laid off, I took my new found attitude
towards life (it will always work out), and applied it to travel and other
hiking forays.  I was a traveler before I was a hiker so maybe this would
have happened anyway but I suspect the thruhiker attitude got me out there
for longer periods sooner than I would have otherwise.

I just heard from one of the people I met at Springer Mountain Shelter
after my first day on the trail.  So it seems I'm not the only one of my
class with Springer Fever.

Plus, an email from him to a group of us '99ers yielded at least a couple
of others who have also gotten the travel bug and have taken to leaving it
all behind and traveling for extended periods.

I don't know if any of this means anything but it seemed interesting to
share.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor