[at-l] I felt the earth move under my feet...

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:46:58 CDT 2012

I was in El Salvador the first time I ever knew I was feeling an earthquake
as it happened.  Before that, I had slept through one in California and
been woken up at 5am near Boston from one in upstate New York that caused
quite a bit of damage.  I didn't realize why I had woken up until later
that day when I heard the news and checked the time.

Since then, with my travels near active volcanoes in Central and South
America, I've felt quite a few temblors associated with the volcanoes.

Anyway, a great resource for earthquake reports is the USGS site:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

I started monitoring the site almost immediately after yesterday's quake
and it was interesting to see the report changing over time.  It started as
a 4.5 event, then 4.6, then 4.0 and the location moved a bit each time the
magnitude changed.  For all I know, I missed some intermediate reports, too.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor