[at-l] last report from Crawford Notch

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 21:25:27 CDT 2012

For what it's worth...

The next morning, more State Parks people stopped by again when Rockdancer
was away from the lot.  This time, a guy and a woman in the pickup.  I
didn't get their names.

When asked, I reiterated one more time that we were NOT selling anything.
 We were just here to provide trail magic, we were not camping there, and
we were doing our best to keep the area clean given all the trash the
tourists heading to Ripley Falls leave behind.

Additionally, the perspective of the Park Rangers is that an unattended
tarp, left up overnight at the edge of the parking lot, may encourage
hikers to spend the night there.

In the course of the conversation, I found out that when there's space at
the Dry River Campground (especially after Labor Day), they happily put up
thruhikers for free and even give them quarters so they can do laundry.
 I'm not sure that this is any sort of "official" policy but it's nice to
know some hikers may benefit.  The guy in the pickup even said they
sometimes give rides to hikers.  Since one of the hikers had just asked
about getting to the Highland Center, I asked if they might be going in
that direction and so they ended up giving that hiker a ride.

So, it's not all bad news...

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor