[at-l] Little Hike Trip Report Belknap Mountain

Art Cloutman art at crystalacresnh.com
Mon Aug 5 10:37:51 CDT 2013

Belknap Mountain is owned mostly by the state of New Hampshire.

Great weather.   We left the parking lot at 10:45 AM heading up the
Red trail.  It is only 0.9 miles to the summit but it is up hill the
entire way.  The Green trail is steeper at 0.08 miles.  The Blue
trail is 1.2 miles therefore more gradual up hill climb.

Loch is 14 years old and seemed to take charge of the kids.  He
encouraged Audrey 7 yrs who has the shortest legs and for the first
time that I can remember did not ask to be carried on a hike in NH.
Emma 8yrs is a true hiker.  She stops frequently to  examine
mushrooms, twigs, rocks, salamanders, leaves and views but always
continues on with enthusiasm.

The summit was reached at noon where we had a short lunch.  We
climbed the fire tower to get a peek at the Whites to our north and
back to the south we could make out Crystal Lake where our cottages
are located.  Belknap is situated in the lakes region on NH and is
therefore surrounded by hundreds of lakes.  Winnipesaukea surrounds
the Belknap Range on three sides so we got a great view of the big
lake.

I decided to follow the Blue trail down because there is a good sized
blueberry patch about half way down.  We picked blueberries for 1/2
hour but decided to stop when thunder could be heard in the distance.

Gunstock Mountain is attached to Belknap by a saddle.  I work at
Gunstock during Winter as a ski instructor.  They operate the 4th
longest zipline tour in the world at Gunstock (longest in continental
US.  We could hear the ZIPPERS rushing down the lines from the summit
of Gunstock.  Kind of spoils the peace and quiet of a Belknap hike
but I certainly understand the need for Summer attractions to a ski
resort.  Belknap is county owned and operated.   Because it is not
trying earn great returns for stock holders the rates are very
reasonable comparatively.  Still they charge $79 for a 2 hour zipline
tour.  Needless to say I have not tried the tour yet.  However,
everyone that I have talked with has loved it.

We reached the parking lot about 2:30 PM.  Returned to Crystal Lake
and had a dip to wash the sweat off.  It was a great hike.

--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman