[at-l] AT hiker versus lost skier... a little education goes a long way...

Dee Landau monadnockdee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 11:18:57 CST 2013

Word.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 8, 2013, at 10:34, Mara Factor <mfactor at gmail.com> wrote:

Is it just me or do others get frustrated reading about situations like the
AT hiker?

Compare the thruhiker who was rescued to this 17-year-old kid who went
skiing with his father and got separated and lost on Sugarloaf if Maine.
 He survived two nights with no backpacking gear and walked out with a
rescuer.  It doesn't appear he suffered from hypothermia or frostbite.  He
kept his head about him, dug a snow cave which is an excellent way to stay
warm, found water, and stayed put until he heard a snowmobile.  He walked
towards the noise, found snowshoe tracks, and followed them until he ran
into a rescuer.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/2013/03/05/missing-medford-skier-found-sugarloaf-ski-resort-maine-nicholas-joy-cold-but-healthy/N1pLXzvqxfiGVJJsYBZUZK/story.html

Folks, you don't have to be a survivalist practitioner, but just
understanding a little bit about the cold and being outdoors can go a long
way to surviving a bad situation.  Read a book, take a class, talk to
experienced people, or even just watch some of those survivalist shows
(what the kid had done but not really what I would recommend as a primary
source).  Then, get out there and gain experience with an experienced group
before going out on your own.

OK.  I'm sorry if this sounded like a rant.  I'm going back to watching the
snow come down...

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

Please trim this footer if replying to the list.   Do not send entire
digests in your replies.