[at-l] AT hiker versus lost skier... a little education goes a long way...

bror8588 at aol.com bror8588 at aol.com
Fri Mar 8 12:58:48 CST 2013

Good advice!

Skylander Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Mara Factor <mfactor at gmail.com>
To: at-l <at-l at backcountry.net>
Sent: Fri, Mar 8, 2013 11:34 am
Subject: [at-l] AT hiker versus lost skier... a little education goes a
long way...

Is it just me or do others get frustrated reading about situations like
the AT hiker?

Compare the thruhiker who was rescued to this 17-year-old kid who went
skiing with his father and got separated and lost on Sugarloaf if
Maine.  He survived two nights with no backpacking gear and walked out
with a rescuer.  It doesn't appear he suffered from hypothermia or
frostbite.  He kept his head about him, dug a snow cave which is an
excellent way to stay warm, found water, and stayed put until he heard
a snowmobile.  He walked towards the noise, found snowshoe tracks, and
followed them until he ran into a rescuer.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/2013/03/05/missing-medford-skier-found-sugarloaf-ski-resort-maine-nicholas-joy-cold-but-healthy/N1pLXzvqxfiGVJJsYBZUZK/story.html

Folks, you don't have to be a survivalist practitioner, but just
understanding a little bit about the cold and being outdoors can go a
long way to surviving a bad situation.  Read a book, take a class, talk
to experienced people, or even just watch some of those survivalist
shows (what the kid had done but not really what I would recommend as a
primary source).  Then, get out there and gain experience with an
experienced group before going out on your own.

OK.  I'm sorry if this sounded like a rant.  I'm going back to watching
the snow come down...

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor_______________________________________________