[at-l] Crews working to rescue hiker on the Appalachian Trail

Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Fri Mar 8 22:49:53 CST 2013

It does happen.  I remember a late winter storm in Shenandoah a few years
ago, at least one hiker had to be rescued.  He broke into a tool hut of some
sort to save himself.

-----

BTNTGDT -- sort of.

But luckily, as a maintainer, I had the key and didn't have to break-in and
I did hike out on my own.

Also, been in on a few rescues and worst, yet, once help humped a body out.

Have had to dig my way out of tents a number of times and one memorable time
out of a bivy.  That was fun.  Spent most of that AM digging in the snow for
my gear.  Learned to be better organized, in the future.

The only times I was ever rescued (helped out of the woods) was once when I
broke my leg and once in the heat of late summer when I was seriously
dehydrated.

Anyone who doesn't think it can happen to them....