[at-l] Rendezvous Motel: extensive damage

Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Mon Mar 11 18:39:28 CDT 2013

More: http://tinyurl.com/a8sue94

**
Giles County hiker hotel no more

Appalachian Trail hikers have one less motel in Pearisburg

Orlando Salinas WDBJ7 Reporter

6:40 p.m. EDT, March 11, 2013

A fire in Giles County over the weekend means hikers from across the
country, will have to find somewhere else to rest.

The Rendevous Motel, just off U.S. 460 in Pearisburg, caught fire early
Saturday morning. No one was hurt, but the property was completely
destroyed.

For decades, hikers, like Juliette Stephenson, coming off the Appalachian
Trail have walked straight into town and into the Rendevous Motel for some
much needed rest. "It's very convenient', said Stephenson, 'you come down
from Angels mountain and you're coming straight down to the trail and it's
the first thing you get to and you can see it and it's where we stayed and I
have fond memories."

A father and son own the motel. Understandably, they didn't want to speak on
camera. No word if they plan on rebuilding.