[at-l] New boot choices
southwalker at windstream.net
Thu Sep 4 11:06:37 CDT 2014
Hard to find boots that don't have Gore-Tex or some other waterproofing. Personally don't like Gore-Tex or any of its cousins.
Over the 25+ years of wearing boots I have tried a lot of brands and the overall best boot I ever owned was a Scarpa SL. Expensive, all leather boot. Took some time to break-in but once I got there it is wonderful.
Out of curiosity I looked at a picture of the Salomon Quest 4D GTX online and I notice that the picture doesn't show the laces in the top clips. They stopped just below it. There is a reason.
My lucky numbers are:
7527 X 2^1063970 +1
2325 X 2^1108257 + 1
4891 X 2^1102896 +1
From: at-l-bounces at mailman.backcountry.net [mailto:at-l-bounces at mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 8:35 AM
To: AT List; JPL
Subject: Re: [at-l] New boot choices
I shoot for
1) conformable inner materials, so the thing will form to my foot. This usually means a glove-leather lining, but I remain flexible.
2) resole-able assembly -- I don't want to be buying a 3000 mile upper married to a 1000 mile lower -- that's a waste of money, and a ton of weight. I want a sole that can be repaired by any decent cobbler. Norwegian welt is typical, but "I remain flexible."
3) Does GTX mean Gore-Tex? I have yet to hear of overall satisfaction from anyone who seeks long miles in a GTX boot. A pair of galoshes over your Chuck Taylor's would do as well, and be lots lighter/cheaper.
4) Higher sides, and lower front/achilles area, spells comfort.
5) Nothing to speak that absorbs/holds water -- a week of slogging will take the skin right off your feet. OUCHIE.
Thems me thoughts.....
Boot? I so love my Limmer Lightweights (which are, of course, quite substantial despite the name).
Spatior, ergo sum.
On Thu, 9/4/14, JPL <jplynch at crosslink.net> wrote:
I've narrowed my boot selection down to these brands and models. Any thoughts? They're roughly equally priced and all feel pretty good.
Salomon Quest 4D GTX
Lowa Renegade GTX
at-l mailing list
at-l at mailman.backcountry.net
More information about the at-l