[at-l] Hiker death, black bear

Dee Landau monadnockdee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 08:36:46 CDT 2014

They should have stayed together. Should have turned and faced the bear. Should not have run. Very unlikely a bear would have charged a group. I saw 31 bears on my hike that included mommas with cubs and I never felt threatened by any of them. I talked to them. Didn't get scared as they sense fear, and went on my way. I had one bear walk down the trail in front of me for about 1/4 mile as my pace bear one day. Then he/she got bored with that game and stood on the side of the trail and watched me pass. I didn't carry any bear spray and I've never heard of anyone using it and having it save their life.

Dee

Sent from my iPhone