[at-l] Hiker death, black bear

JPL jplynch at crosslink.net
Wed Sep 24 08:42:20 CDT 2014

I've seen many bears too.  From what I can tell they made two major
mistakes.  They split up.  The rule is to group together, make yourselves
look big, and make a lot of noise.  Plus with black bears especially, you
can fight back.  Five fighters have a much better chance than one.  The
second mistake was to run.  Bears interpret running as prey from what I
understand.  Their actions almost guaranteed that one of the five was going
to die or be injured.