[at-l] Ref Sleeping Bags

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 23:22:11 CST 2016

Hi Dennis,

Your email was a bit confusing.  I'm not sure what you mean by "the whole
AT eleven months n the Summer Months"

If you're planning a thruhike, what time period do you expect to be on the
trail and what part of the trail do you expect to be on at what part of the
year?  That is, will you be traveling northbound, southbound, flip flopping
(and if so, how), etc?

If you are planning on taking eleven months to do the entire AT as a
multi-year section hike and only hike during the summer months, then a 20
degree bag will likely be warmer than you need (or want) for the trail.
Most of the trail is hot during the summer months.  The White Mountains is
likely the only part of the trail where you might be glad to have a 20
degree bag in the summer.

Then, I highly recommend taking a look at Feathered Friends and Western
Mountaineering sleeping bags.  You can find links to their web sites along
with links to other lightweight gear manufacturers on the Lightweight
Backpacking Links <http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/lw.html> page on
my web site.

I suggest buying the highest quality down bag you can afford.  When kept
well, these bags can last a very long time and be much more cost effective
than cheaper bags that lose their loft faster and require more frequent
replacements.

Other relevant pages at my site you might be interested in include
discussions of Sleeping bag ratings
<http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/bagratings.html>, Top bags and
quilts versus sleeping bags
<http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/quilts.html>, and Sleeping pads