[at-l] Grandma Gatewood and other stuff

Richard Mann rkmcoder at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 16:33:21 CST 2016

There is a new book out called Grandma Gatewood's Walk.  It is worth a read even though a stinkin' reporter wrote it.  He actually walked some of the trail and spoke with some folks that actually knew something about the trail.  I give him credit for not speaking to Wingfoot, that would have ruined the whole thing for me...

One of the last things that I ever heard Earl say was; "Grandma was a fraud!"  The book makes a case that she was not a fraud, and that Earl was.  I think we need to dig them both up and have a hike-off...

Anyway, on page 216 of the book there is reference to Redwing Girl Scout Camp in which Grandma spent time after her second AT Hike.  My Grandfather was the Camp Manager at the time, hence my whole family had a passing acquaintance with Grandma.  Of course I was but a toddler at the time and none of us knew of her notoriety.  I do have a picture with Grandma at that time.  Who knew that I would be following in her footsteps approx 40 years later...

Speaking of Robert Redford, don't even bother renting that gawd awful A Walk In The Woods movie. I saw it in the theaters and wish I had hadn't.  Stinkerooney.  I don't think anyone will have a burning desire to hike the trail after seeing this movie...

Let's see -

Start date - May 1st - beat the crowds and the weather, have some solitude, hike uninterrupted miles, beat everyone else to K...

Sleeping bag - my mother made one for me years ago - works great...

I plan on a thru in 2030 at age 78 - May 1st start date - gonna use my new hover board...

Go Stillers...

Pittsburgh